5 Interesting Facts about the Trucking Industry in Europe
We have collected 5 interesting facts about the trucking industry in Europe. Transportation by road is one of the most common types of freight in Europe. Trucks are responsible for 71.3 % of all freight transported over land and 2.4 million people are employed in the road freight transport sector.
Here are our 5 facts:
1. The trucking industry is fairly large, which means a big amount of trucks are in circulation throughout the European continent today – more specifically around 6.5 million trucks.
2. Accidents that involve trucks have decreased by 53 % from 2001 to 2014. This is despite an increase in the freight transport.
3. Seven countries are responsible for 73 % of the road freight transport in EU (in terms of total tonne-kilometres). These are Germany (leading with around 18 %) Poland, Spain, France, United Kingdom, Italy and the Netherlands.
4. CO2 emissions are a concern in many industries and with fuel consumption – the transport industry is no exception. However, trucks’ fuel consumption have decreased by 60 % since 1965.
5. In 2016, 472,499 trucks were exported worldwide. These trucks were worth €5.3 billion, which means they are responsible for a trade surplus of €4.9 billion in the world.
Did you already know these facts or do you have more interesting facts? Let us know in the comments.
Sources: ACEA and European Commission